The cannabis industry is experiencing exponential growth. With recreational marijuana use legalized in 19 states and medical marijuana legalized in 37 states, three territories, and the District of Columbia, growers, distributors, and retailers of marijuana are experiencing a surging market with no end in sight.
Cannabis sales in the U.S. are expected to top $72 billion by 2030.
Like any other rising, high-dollar product, a created underground market puts a target on cannabis businesses’ backs. To continue the rapid growth of this industry, cannabis businesses need tight security measures to keep their profits from going up in smoke.
Cannabis is a high-risk industry and has a high need for perimeter security
Not only is cannabis easy to pilfer, but the industry typically works in large amounts of cash because many large banks still refuse to work with cannabis industry customers.
With a high-risk product and large amounts of cash on-site, strategic security measures must be put into place to stop this slow leak of profits as well as larger-scale break-ins that can be financially devastating.
Just one break-in can erase months of hard work
From seed to harvest, a cannabis plant takes between four to eight months to mature depending on the type of plant and growing conditions. A break-in at a growing facility could undo months of hard work in a single night, putting the business back at square one for that growing season, if starting over is even an option.
A break-in at a growing facility could undo months of hard work in a single night
And if the break-in occurs at an indoor growing facility, expensive equipment could also be damaged or stolen. Cannabis growers often spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on humidifiers, UV lights, hydroponic systems, etc.
High-security regulations for the cannabis market
Theft isn’t the only consideration when designing your security plan. To become a licensed grower business in any U.S. state, businesses must adhere to a laundry list of security measures. Failure to do so can lead to hefty fines or even license suspension. For example, you can see the list of security regulations for cannabis businesses in Santa Cruz, CA here.
5 Critical Security Measures for The Cannabis Industry
At AMAROK, we specialize in protecting commercial businesses from criminals both inside and out. Here are our recommendations for cannabis business security you can put in place now to protect your plants and profits.
- Enhance your perimeter security - Keeping thieves off your property in the first place is the best way to keep your profits safe. Invest in an electric security fence that stops even the most motivated criminals from accessing your farm or distribution center.
- Install lot lighting - Cannabis thieves, like all criminals, use darkness like a weapon. Make sure your facility includes ample lot lighting to flood your property with crime-preventing light, especially around gates, doors, windows, and other access points.
- Control access to your facility - People going in and out of your facility without documentation is an invitation to crime. Install an access control system that tracks employees’ whereabouts and limits access only to those with permission.
- Install a video monitoring system - Video monitoring accomplishes three things: it psychologically deters crime, satisfies most police jurisdictions’ requirement for dual verification for response to a tripped alarm, and can help identify criminals so they are apprehended and you can (hopefully) recover your stolen product.
- Create protocols for cash and inventory handling - The better you track who has access to your inventory and cash, the more likely you are to prevent theft. No one should be able to access inventory without documentation or permission.
Are there security weaknesses in your cannabis business?
Find out for sure with a free threat assessment from AMAROK. This complimentary service assesses your current security protocols, equipment, and strategy to make sure you’re safe from thieves both inside and out. Schedule yours here now.
The Ultimate Perimeter Solution
AMAROK™ is the ultimate perimeter security solution because it deters thieves, so there is no need to deal with the aftermath of a crime. AMAROK deters criminals in three ways; a shock deterrent, physical deterrent, and alarm deterrent. Installing the Electric Guard Dog system is an effective way to prevent cargo theft at your business.
AMAROK™ is a full-perimeter security company based in Columbia, South Carolina, that provides commercial security services throughout the United States and Canada. Specializing in electric fencing and perimeter security systems for commercial properties, AMAROK also provides supplemental surveillance solutions, including cameras, lights, and alarms. Together, these business security services form the ultimate crime prevention solution for any business.
Even though professional monitoring speeds police response time, criminals may still be able to breach your perimeter and enter your property. That’s why AMAROK developed FORTIFEYE™ - the world‘s first integrated electric security fence, video surveillance, and video monitoring solution to create the ultimate crime prevention solution for your commercial business or industrial site.
For more information, or to get a quote contact us.