Holiday weekends are notorious for being high-crime weekends and a criminal’s paradise. This is especially true given the state of the current economy with the COVID-19 pandemic. We have also noticed a trend of businesses having more assets than usual on their yard due to the economic slowdown.
We recommend putting in place a few basic measures to protect your property and assets for this holiday weekend.
Just remember CPR – Check, Prepare, Report – and then have a great Easter Holiday Weekend!
- Check that alarms and surveillance systems are working.
- Walk the perimeter to make sure it's properly secured.
- Check on lighting. Replace non-working fixtures.
- Review timer so lights come on while facility is closed.
- Perform a security system test. Is your monitoring service receiving signals?
- Use an alarm backup system with verified response capabilities.
- Remove keys from all equipment (like forklifts) and secure them.
- Report system faults right away.
- Ensure that the company alarm call list is current with valid phone numbers.
- Contact law enforcement and request additional patrols in the area.
For Freight In-Transit:
- Perform an initial overall check of the vehicle before leaving it unattended for any length of time.
- Check on unattended vehicles as frequently as possible.
- Secure the tractor and trailer with a steering wheel locking device, kingpin locks, and glad-hand locks. All three.
- Lock all trailer doors. NEVER leave keys inside the tractor.
- Leave vehicles in secured lots with ample lighting and constant, live surveillance.
- Park vehicles within view of security cameras.
- Frequently notify dispatch of your whereabouts.
- Use tracking in the freight with geo-fencing and alert notification.
- Gather with your team to discuss perimeter security today.
You don’t have to wait for holidays to protect yourself this is something that is a best practice all year long. Apply these suggestions to help maintain the integrity of your security system and keep the criminal element on the outside. Contact AMAROK™ today for a site security evaluation, free of charge!