The Holiday Season for us is the Heist Season to thieves and criminals. According to CargoNet®, organized cargo theft rises 40 percent between Labor Day and the New Year*.
Send Holiday Jeers to thieves planning to have a Happy Holiday at your expense by implementing these few basic measures.
Just remember CPR – Check, Prepare, Report – and then have a great Holiday Season!
- Check that alarms and surveillance systems are working.
- Walk the perimeter to make sure it's properly secured.
- Check on lighting. Replace non-working fixtures.
- Review timer so lights come on while facility is closed.
- Perform a security system test. Is your monitoring service receiving signals?
- Use an alarm backup system with verified response capabilities.
- Remove keys from all equipment (like forklifts) and secure them.
- Report system faults right away.
- Ensure that the company alarm call list is current with valid phone numbers.
- Contact law enforcement and request additional patrols in the area.
For Freight In-Transit:
- Perform an initial overall check of the vehicle before leaving it unattended for any length of time.
- Check on unattended vehicles as frequently as possible.
- Secure the tractor and trailer with a steering wheel locking device, kingpin locks, and glad-hand locks. All three.
- Lock all trailer doors. NEVER leave keys inside the tractor.
- Leave vehicles in secured lots with ample lighting and constant, live surveillance.
- Park vehicles within view of security cameras.
- Frequently notify dispatch of your whereabouts.
- Use tracking in the freight with geo-fencing and alert notification.
- Gather with your team to discuss perimeter security today.
Don’t wait until just before the Holidays to review these security procedures and protocols. Apply these suggestions to help maintain the integrity of your security system and keep the criminal element on the outside. Contact AMAROK™ today for a site security evaluation, free of charge!