As Independence Day approaches and we all set out to enjoy some well-deserved time off - just remember that criminals don't take vacations. In fact, holidays like July 4th offer up opportunities for thieves and criminals to steal valuable property in large quantities from buildings and properties that do not have security systems. With a little due diligence and preparation, you can take the proper precautions to lock up and secure your perimeter and protect your building from theft.
Here's a few tips to help you secure your building or commercial yard - just remember C-P-R: Check, Prepare, Report – and have a great 4th of July holiday!
Securing Your Facility or Site
- Check that alarms and surveillance security systems are working in your building
- Walk the perimeter to make sure it's properly secured.
- Check on lighting. Replace non-working fixtures.
- Review the timer so lights come on while building is closed
- Perform a security system test.
- Is monitoring service receiving signals?
- Use an alarm backup system with verified response capabilities.
- Remove keys from all equipment (i.e.forklifts) on the perimeter and secure them
- Report system faults right away.
- Ensure company alarm call list is current and contains valid phone numbers.
- Contact law enforcement and ask for additional patrols in the area.
Securing Your Freight In-Transit
- Perform an inspection of your truck before leaving it unattended for any length of time to ensure it’s secure on the perimeter
- Check on the unattended vehicles as frequently as possible.
- Secure the tractor and trailer on the perimeter with a steering wheel locking device, kingpin locks, and glad-hand locks
- Lock trailer doors. Do NOT leave keys inside tractor.
- Only leave vehicles in secured lots near your building that feature sufficient lighting and surveillance
- Park within view of cameras.
- Notify dispatch of your whereabouts frequently.
- Use tracking in the freight with geo-fencing and alert notification.
- Gather with your team to discuss perimeter security as soon as possible.
The time to secure your building or perimeter is now. Don’t wait until the day before a holiday to review security procedures and protocols. Apply these suggestions to help maintain the integrity of your security system and keep the criminal element on the outside.
For even more peace of mind this Independence Day weekend, give our team a call by phone at (800) 432-6391 or reach us online to receive a free site security evaluation for a perimeter security system. AMAROK provides electric security fences and perimeter security solutions to facilities and properties.