We've all heard it: when the thermometer goes up, so does crime. This is a myth. According to Governing.com’s report on crime statistics, there is no correlation between month and crime rate.
There is, however, a correlation between theft and extended holiday weekends. The coming Christmas and New Year's holidays fall on a Thursday and Friday. To protect your business from cargo theft, you may want to invest in a perimeter security system.
Source: Owner Operator Direct
Curious what cargo theft prevention measures industrial security experts recommend? Get a free copy of J.J. Coughlin's "Cargo Crime" — a must-read guide for transportation and logistics security professionals.
1. Facility Operation
- Lighting — make sure it is functioning and the day/night sensors are operating. If you don’t have dawn-to-dusk sensors, make sure that the timers are set for the winter months.
- Alarm System — test that you are able to arm and disarm your perimeter security alarm system. Also, trigger your system and confirm that your monitoring company is receiving signals.
- Cameras — make sure that they are all working. Reposition them so you can see what is valuable and vulnerable on your yard.
- Perimeter Fencing — check for damage to your electric fences and perimeter security system. Repair as necessary. Also, confirm that all gates close properly and can be secured with a lock.
2. Equipment Security
- Secure your keys for your vehicles, including forklifts. In a separate location from the vehicle itself.
- Secure pallet jacks and hand trucks.
- Encourage your employees to be on the lookout for suspicious activities and to report them to their supervisor.
- Come up with something catchy to remind your people to report issues. Love or hate Homeland Security, “See Something, Say Something” has a nice, easy ring to it!
- Remind personnel to never ignore an alarm (sometimes thieves test response times in advance of a break-in hoping your team will assume a malfunction).
- Ensure that the notification list is up-to-date, as personnel or contact numbers may have changed.
Remember, now is not the time to let your guard down. The FBI notes that “States may not perceive cargo theft as a priority or a significant problem within their states.” Yet cargo theft affects every state. Ask everyone on your team to spend two minutes a day adding to the security of your business. It will cost you nothing, while the returns will be immeasurable.
Curious what cargo theft prevention measures experts recommend? Get a free copy of J.J. Coughlin's "Cargo Crime" — a must-read guide for transportation and logistics security professionals.
AMAROK™ is a full-perimeter security company based in Columbia, South Carolina, that provides commercial security services throughout the United States and Canada. Specializing in electric fencing and perimeter security systems for commercial properties, AMAROK also provides supplemental surveillance solutions, including cameras, lights, and alarms. Together, these business security services form the ultimate crime prevention solution for any business.